Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pendulum Motion

This was a very interesting article. I can honestly say that a pendulum is not something I think of on a regular basis. Really my only exposure to one that I can remember is the grandfather clock that stood in the corner of my grandparent's living room, and even then I really just thought it was for decorative purposes. I did not realize the pendulum provided so much insight to early time keeping. I was not aware that Galileo played such an important role in early usage of the pendulum. Keeping time was a major advantage of the use of the pendulum. It changed the way early travelers navigated the world. Which I feel is a great outcome of the pendulum because it probably aided in explorers discovering new lands.
The pendulum was also used in the pursuit of creating more accurate clocks. Many of the scientists working with Galileo came to a conclusion that : "for a given pendulum length, all periods of time are the same." This idea helped these scientists work to create a more accurate clock and navigate the world more easily because of it.
Del Monte disagreed with Galileo's ideas on the pendulum. He thought he was a very poor physicist. He tried many of Galileo's experiments and claimed they did not work. Galileo died before his idea could be proved but Christiaan Huygens took his idea further and created the first pendulum clock, which "launched the era of precision time keeping". This clock aided in Western science's progress.

1 comment:

  1. I also did not know Galileo played a part in the pendulum. I have only ever learned about Huygens. I had no idea that Galileo started these experiments before he died and Huygens just took over. I found this piece of information very interesting in the article.

    ReplyDelete