Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Virtues of Not Knowing

"The virtues involved in not knowing are the ones that really count in the long run. What you do about what you don't know is, in the final analysis, what determines what you will ultimately know." I feel that this quote is the most important quote from the entire article. Sometimes, the right answer is not the most important thing. Sometimes working through the problem with your peers will gain you so much more knowledge than if you were to sit and memorize something on your own. Yes, your test scores will reflect that you know your subject, but what is really absorbed is little to none. I wish I had been taught in this way when I was in school. My teachers focused on memorization and getting the highest test scores in order to compete with other schools. Once an exam was over, the information escaped from my head. I feel that teachers should focus on problem solving with their students in order for students to become fully aware of the subject they are learning. Comprehension is so important, and I feel if this strategy was focused on more that the world would start producing more students with a desire to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Memorization is the lowest form of intelligence. A monkey can memorize so what does that say about the way we teach our children. I feel it's the easy way out for teachers to get the highest test score. True knowledge is gained from personal inquiry and finding the correct answer threw trial and error and exploring your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete